September 25, 2012
Jim has ice cream bars hidden in the outside freezer so they’ll always be there when he wants one. He doesn’t understand the concept of eat-them-now-or-they’ll-be-gone. He doesn’t want to eat one now if he doesn’t feel like eating one now. So I told him to buy his own box, and then he can eat them whenever he wants.
So Sunday, Jeff comes to me and says, “How long have we had ice cream bars in the freezer?” Thinking that he means the bars I bought for him that are in the inside freezer, I said, “For about a week. They’re for you.” He says, “I can eat them?” I say, “Sure.” So, you can guess what happened. He was referring to Jim’s bars in the outside freezer, and he and Brett promptly finished them off.
When I realized what happened, I told them those were Dad’s bars and now we better hurry and replace them before he notices. It wasn’t their fault. They asked permission and I said they could, but now I had to fix it. All evening, every time Jim walked out to the garage, we held our breath. And each time he came in with something out of the fridge instead of with an empty ice cream box, we breathed a sigh of relief. It was totally unspoken, too. Jim would go to the garage, and Jeff and Brett and I would just look at each other. He’d come in with chocolate milk, and Brett would mouth to me “Phew!” It’s been crazy. I’ve gotta replace those bars so we don’t have to go to Defcon 3 every time Jim goes to the garage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment