Brett had a blast this weekend on the 8th Grade Band trip to Idaho. The school district wouldn't let them leave during the school day, so since they weren't missing school, they didn't even have to schedule a performance. They got to go purely for the fun of it without transporting instruments or pretending to be going for the performing experience.

They arrived in Coeur d'Alene Friday evening and hit the water park first thing. They spent the night at a hotel -- don't you pity the rest of the guests in that hotel? -- and then spent all day Saturday at Silverwood amusement park. Brett came home tired and sunburned but had the best time ever! (Sorry we don't have a picture to include. He said you could get your picture taken on one of the rides but it cost $9. He chose to spend his money on lunch instead of a picture.)



This picture looks like a replay of Prom, doesn't it? Bryce just can't seem to stay away from pretty girls. This is Ariel; she's the special one.

They were both invited (separately) to a party. They both accepted the invitation (separately). Hence, this was not a date. The fact that Ariel drove to our house and then caught a ride with Bryce does not make it a date. They had a great time, but this young man really needs to finish his Eagle so they can quit attending parties separately together.

With Bryce and Brett otherwise occupied, only Jim and Jeff were left to attend Friday night's Fathers' and Sons' Campout. Jeff was ecstatic! "No way! I never get to do anything with just me and Dad. This will be cool!" I hadn't thought about it before, but he's right. He always has brothers around to interfere. He enjoyed his time with just Dad.












As for me, I finally put in a square foot garden! I've been thinking about it for six years, so it's been a while in the making. We got started late in the day: 8:30 pm Saturday night. Who starts to put a garden in at 8:30 pm?

Most of the time was spent making the soil. We were out there in the dark with shovels, mixing enormous amounts of peat moss, vermiculite, and compost on a tarp on the patio. It was quite a project! We finished putting the last plant in the garden at 11:45 pm. It's a little scary. Makes me realize I am indeed related to someone who shines car lights down the alley to pick green beans at midnight.

I'm including a few pictures mainly for Kimberly's sake. The rest of you won't care a bit about my garden, but look, Kim, I finally did it! So far we have cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, and corn. (The box is right outside the kitchen window.)




That's it for this week!

1 comment:

The Kent Family said...

Your garden looks great, Marilee! All we have gotten planted so far this year is tomatoes and peppers. I have seeds for zucchini, butternut squash, and cucumbers, but it's looking like we will be saving those for next year!