It’s May 23, and it’s 53 degrees! People should not be wearing coats on May 23. At least not in the northern hemisphere. We need some of those warm Texas temperatures to float up our way because . . .
. . . Our garden is IN! And those plants need summer weather to grow. Jim built 4x8 planter boxes out of wood from an old fence. It’s warped and split, just like the boards I planned to use, but these warped boards were free. We planted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, strawberries, cherry tomatoes, and cantaloupe. Raspberries go in this week. Now we just need some sunshine and warm air to coax those little plants to grow and produce. It’s exciting! I love this time of year. I love it even more when it’s not 53 degrees.
 |
| Planter Box #1 |
 |
| Brett digging out the Juniper tree to accommodate Planter Box #2 |
 |
| Real, live plants! |
 |
| Strawberries. . . so far, so good. |
 |
| Cherry tomatoes |
As for life around here . . .
We loved having Mom and Dad come visit (although Dad froze the entire time he was here). It was the first time they’ve been here that I didn’t have anything else going on – no new baby, no wedding, no holidays – I got to just sit and visit with them, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
 |
| Mom and Dad, after Ashlee's baptism. In sepia. |
 |
| Ashlee, ready to eat cake. Again, in sepia. |
|
|
|
 |
| Aislyn, in living color. I got the sepia turned off! |
|
And because I happen to have them, here are a few photos from Jeff's most recent backpacking trip with the Deacons. (He has no idea how lucky he is to have inherited the supplies his siblings spent years accumulating. He's the first child in our house to be fully equipped by age 12.)
Overheard at the Trek Fireside
Presenter: No electronics are allowed. Don't bring iPads, iPods, cell phones . . . If the pioneers didn't have it, you can't have it.
Audience Question: What if the iPods are first generation?
1 comment:
I enjoyed your pictures - even the "in sepia" ones - thank goodness I had a dictionary close at hand!
Your garden is far ahead of mine - meaning I have absolutely nothing planted. I finally bought caladium plants for the planter box out front - just so something could be growing. I'm amazed that the year-around bushes and roses seem to be surviving - and the grass isn't entirely dead - in spite or our 100+ temperatures and wind. I think the Lord believes in great variety. At least Dad isn't cold.
Have a great week!
Post a Comment