It’s been birthday week at our house!  And not just ordinary birthdays, but BIG birthdays:  12 and 16.




Twelve:  Goodbye Primary; Hello Deacon’s Quorum!  We celebrated Jeff’s birthday at Granny’s Buffet where we ate truly terrible food in his honor.  He liked it, though, and that was the point.  It was a little tough for Jim to spend money on bad food but he survived.  The meal was followed by an ugly not-so-great-tasting cake at home.  Not sure what happened between the packaged mix and the finished product, but it was definitely unique.  It was a fitting end to the dinner we had just . . . um . . . enjoyed. 

Jeff performed the traditional Article of Faith in church and shocked the entire ward with the deep booming voice that comes out of his small body.  He also passed the Sacrament for the first time and says it’s not nearly as scary as it looks.
 
He attended his first Deacons Quorum campout on Friday.  He has a propensity for acquiring barbed wire injuries on campouts, and this time was no different.  He came home with a nice gash on his thigh to match the scars on his knees from previous mishaps.


Warning:  This is what happens when you play with your mother's
camera and don't delete the file before she sees it. 
Silly pictures end up in the family update. 


Sixteen:  Brett’s friends threw him a surprise party. I was extremely impressed that 30 kids could know about a party and still manage to keep it quiet.  They decorated the Primary room at the church, then turned out the lights, and had one of the mothers call and ask Brett to come help set up tables for a wedding reception.  He cheerfully went over to help -- a testament to his character; what a great guy, huh?  He was sent to get the long tables stored in the Primary room, and when he flipped on the lights, he discovered all his friends waiting amidst balloons and streamers and banners and party food!  There were a lot of people there.  They filled the entire room.  They spent the next two hours playing games, eating, and laughing.  It was the best day EVER!


Brett "blindfolded" for one of the games.


Since then, Brett has become a dating machine  He turned 16 on Thursday, had a date Friday afternoon, a party Friday night, a date Saturday morning, a date Saturday afternoon, and a dance Saturday night.    (Kim and Bryce:  Yes, OUR Brett.  The SAME Brett you know and love.  Really.)  He seems to be thoroughly enjoying his new 16-year-old status.

Update on Bryce:  He’s busy submitting his mission papers.  I’m not sure what the hurry is, but his bishop wants his papers done and his call issued BEFORE the end of the semester in 3 weeks.  That means he has to have all his physicals, shots, and dental work done this week.



He planned to come home between semesters to have his wisdom teeth out, but his bishop counseled him to get it done in Idaho and do it fast. So, Thursday is the day for wisdom tooth extraction.  In Rexburg.  Without his mother!  I’m glad he’s following his bishop’s counsel, but really, doesn’t everyone need a mother when they get their wisdom teeth out?  I’m hoping there will be some nice girls available to cook him jello or something.  Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well and he can get back to class soon.

Overheard

Bryce:  Filling out these mission papers is hard.
Kris Brockman:  If you think that's hard, maybe you shouldn't be going on a mission.

********************
Brett:  Jeff, never interrupt Dad when he's watching a movie.  He'll automatically say, "no."  If you want him to say, "yes," only talk to him when he's working or eating.  Bryce taught me that.

*******************
Marilee:  How was the Court of Honor?
Jeff:  Ok.  Dad and I won the rope tying contest, but they only gave the candy bar to Dad.

4 comments:

Matheson said...

My own brother is showing me up on dates! Not cool! In my defense, if we compare the TOTAL number of dates, I've got a two and a half year head start on him.

The Kent Family said...

Marilee, I can't believe you are finished with Primary...and I have just started this year! How do they grow up so fast?!

Dianne said...

If I'd read your blog before Bryce's Facebook entries, I'd have known what was going on. I really enjoyed hearing about the two birthdays and other activities.

I need at least another spring break to get me caught up on "personal emails" and associated things. One year, I might succeed in updating our cre.lubbock blog as a substitute for a Christmas greeting.

I love your posts!

Misty said...

I can't believe how big all your kids are getting. Brett dating? Little Jeffrey passing the sacrament? Bryce going on a mission? Holy cow! You have amazing children.