
Jim finally did something he’s been dreaming about for 30 years: he and his brother went back to Belgium where Jim spent two years as a missionary. They flew into Amsterdam and toured his old stomping grounds before making a quick trip to Paris where they saw the Louvre. (Yes, saw the Louvre. They stood in front of it and took a picture. How can you stand in front of the Louvre and not go in?) He said Paris has a sorry version of Disneyland, and you should definitely not go to Paris to see Disneyland. (Disneyland? Hello? You go to Paris to see the Louvre!) The highlight of his trip was touring Austria. He fell in love with the countryside and says we’ll be retiring there. You’re all invited to come visit us when we move to Salzburg.
Kim (21) started the year off with a field trip to Egypt where she worked on an archaeological dig and actually unearthed a mummy. They really let her dig it out of the ground! She named it Clarence and refused to switch to a more gender appropriate name when bone analysis revealed Clarence was in fact a she. Five months after her Egypt trip, she threw our lives into a tailspin by getting engaged to her high school sweetheart (we were ecstatic) and announcing that their wedding would take place in four weeks (we were stunned). Those were four incredibly stressful weeks, but they were worth it. We’re delighted to have Mike Berkey join our family (they don’t come any better), and we’re even happier that we have only one daughter and will never have to be the parents of a bride ever again. Ever.

Bryce (18) was absolutely delighted to graduate from high school and start college at BYU-Idaho. When he moved out, I told him he would miss me, but he doesn’t. I told him he would come home to visit every chance he got, but he hasn’t. I told him he would dream about home cooked meals, and . . . I was finally right! At least he’ll come visit for the food. He loves living in Rexburg and says he’s leading a very balanced life right now. Interpretation: He’s not letting classes distract him from the truly important aspects of college life.
Not to be passed up by all the many travels in our family this year, Brett (15) spent spring break in New York City with the high school band. They went to Lincoln Center, Central Park, Juliard School of Music, Ellis Island, the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, the Statue of Liberty, and they even saw a Broadway play. They were scheduled to see Wicked but ended up with Mary Poppins instead. I was worried that he’d be disappointed, but it turns out that even Mary Poppins is fantabulous when it’s on Broadway.

Jeff (11) is yet another budding Matheson musician. He’s in his fourth year of piano lessons, and he’s also learning to play the saxophone. He was afraid he’d be behind in band when he started 6th grade, so he spent hours working on the saxophone at summer band camp. It paid off. One week after classes began, the band director moved him up to play with the 7th grade band. He’s loving it! He also earned his Webelo, his Arrow of Light, and his First Class rank in scouts this year. He’s a hard worker, and we’re proud of everything he’s accomplishing.
As for me (Marilee), 2010 was very educational. Not only did I learn how to plan a wedding, but I got an iPod AND learned how to use it all in the same year. I know just enough to be dangerous with a credit card on iTunes. (And I’m still thanking my lucky stars that I’ll only be the mother of grooms from here on out. My condolences to those of you with daughters.)
2 comments:
I love your update, Marilee! Your family sure has had an eventful year. (And I'm really hoping that I get to be the mother of a bride someday!)
Ditto to Karen - I loved your blog too. Unfortunately, I have two daughters and they will hopefully come first in marriage before their brother!
Post a Comment