December 18, 2009

We loved seeing Scott and Jessie in November. They spent Thanksgiving with Jessie's grandparents, and then we had a fabulous post-Thanksgiving Anderson family dinner on Friday. Thanks to Mary for supplying the Cafe Rio knock-off recipes -- they were very tasty and a nice change from turkey leftovers.


Scott enjoyed playing with Bryce's iPhone. He's getting one of his own as soon as Verizon supports them and he convinces Jessie it's a necessity.


We finally got Bryce's senior picture taken. The notices about pictures started coming in June, followed by ads from every photographer in town. Bryce scoffed at their prices and said he'd take his own picture.

The day before they were due, he came home and said, "Come outside and take my senior picture." I said, "I don't know how to take pictures." He laughed and said, "Yeah, I know." He adjusted all the settings on the camera, stood me on a chair, sat down against the tree, and said, "OK, try that."

He checked my first try, made more adjustments, and sat down again. I snapped and wha-la! Look at that professional quality photo! Technically speaking, I am the one who took that!

Doesn't Brett look dashing in his concert attire? He wasn't impressed with the cummerbund or bow tie, but I thought he looked marvelous for his Christmas band concert.

His quirky sense of humor keeps me laughing. For seminary, each student was asked to give a service coupon to another student. His assigned recipient was a friend from our ward. He thought and thought about what he could give. He didn't like any of my standard suggestions -- bake him cookies, do his chores, etc.

He finally came up with one of his own. His coupon read, "Good for one free alibi. I'll cover for you." You have to admit, it's unique. Jeff couldn't figure out what was so funny about that, but at least the explanation led to a conversation about what's funny and what's dishonest.


I can't believe it has been an entire year since the last time we did this, but Christmas has now been duly celebrated with gingerbread houses. Jeff piled as much candy and frosting as possible on his house and spilled a little on himself.



Ashlee and Alexa were much more lady-like. They actually decorated their houses.



We've made a gingerbread snob out of Ashlee. Her kindergarten class made milk carton/graham cracker "gingerbread" houses, and she was disgusted: "They're not even real!"

You're a true Anderson now, Ashlee!


Overheard on the Way Home from Webelos

Marilee: How did you like learning about First Aid?

Jeff: It's pretty easy . . . unless someone is unconscious and not breathing. Then it gets complicated.


Overheard at Church

Brett: We live so close that I could skip Priesthood and walk home instead.

Bryce (knowingly): Yeah, except it doesn't work. If you skip Priesthood, Dad comes and finds you.


Overheard at McDonald's Drive Through

Marilee: OK, Jeff. Hand over two fries. I'll only take two, but you have to give up two.

Jeff: I know, it's the Parent Tax.

Marilee: The Parent Tax?

Jeff: Yeah, you have to pay the person who brings you. Bryce charges me all the time.

Marilee: What does he call his tax?

Jeff: Brotherly Love.

No comments: